Re: Fuel Tank Leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Leak
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:30:55 EDT
Phil noted:

> I think you may be thinking about the Pinto.

And Harold added:

> Early Mustangs didn't have a trunk floor.  The top of the tank _was_ the
> trunk floor.  Also think that other Fords of this era were the same.

I'm relatively sure that my 1951 Chevrolet Styline De Luxe Coupe has a
similar setup. I'm 100% sure that the Triumph Mayflower originally had
exactly that setup, where the top of the tank served as the luggage floor.
When I got my Mayflower in 1986 (oh, and it's still this way, 'cause it ain't
easy finding Mayflower gas tanks!), I discovered that some extraordinarily
cle
ver and resourceful previous owner -- using some of the most brutal and
primitive cutting tools he/she could lay hands on -- managed to fit into that
space an alternative gas tank...from a Pinto!

That's the bad news. The GOOD news is that said Pinto gas tank is protected
from, uh, whatever, by a well trimmed-down and rechromed....1951 Chevrolet
rear bumper!

Mind you, this was all initially a moot point when I first bought the car,
because I could never get it to run at all with the Fiat-Weber carburetor on
the poor little Standard-based flathead four, fed by a Facet fuel pump
sucking fuel all the way from rear to front!

Honest, I'm NOT making this up. I will note, however, that the Chevy is
all-original....

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.