Overdrive Solenoid help (long explanation)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive Solenoid help (long explanation)
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:07:47 -0700 (PDT)
A couple of weekends ago, I was rushing back from a long trip in my TR4 with
it's recently installed A type OD transmission and it started to drop in and
out of overdrive on me.

I cussed a little bit.  The same thing had happened the previous weekend.

So I shut the switch off and drove the rest of the way home without OD.

The previous weekend, it had appeared that the actuating lever had slipped on
its shaft a little, and so it wasn't pulling far enough to engage the OD.

I figured the same thing had happened, even though I tightened the heck out of
it this time.

(I don't have the access panels cut in my transmission tunnel, so I am working
from under the car to make these adjustments.  It is a tight squeeze to get a
wrench on that lever and adjust it.)

So last night, I decided to take another look at it, and on first inspection, I
could hear the relay clicking, but not the solenoid.

I started checking the wires, and the one going from the relay to the solenoid
showed it was grounded all the time.

I figured something had chaffed the wire and it was now rubbing to ground
somewhere.
I crawled under the car, disconnected the wire from the solenoid and checked
its continuity to ground.
It seemed fine.  No shorts to ground that I could detect.
Then I checked the wire pigtailing off the solenoid.
It indicated that it was always grounded.

Puzzled - -  I went to manually push the lever / plunger and found it stuck in
place.
Further investigation showed that it was the plunger that was actually stuck in
the downward position.
(The lever and its shaft that runs through the OD unit rotate freely . .. only
a little bit though since they are still attached to the solenoid plunger.)

So what gives?

What in the heck makes a solenoid plunger stick in the down position?
I pushed on it pretty hard, but it wouldn't budge.

Secondly, with it stuck in the down position, did I pretty much fry the "pull"
circuit that requires high amps?
Would that cause the constant ground?

I'm pretty pissed.
That was new solenoid, and those things aren't cheap.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 in Leesburg, VA