RE: Overdrive Solenoid help (long explanation)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overdrive Solenoid help (long explanation)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:41:23 -0700
> What in the heck makes a solenoid plunger stick in the down position?
> I pushed on it pretty hard, but it wouldn't budge.

Most likely, a hard piece of crud (bit of gravel or something) has found
it's way inside the solenoid and is jammed between the plunger and the
housing.

> Secondly, with it stuck in the down position, did I pretty much
> fry the "pull" circuit that requires high amps?
> Would that cause the constant ground?

When the pull-in coil is working properly, it will appear as a constant
ground.  The pull-in coil's resistance is under 1 ohm I believe.  Depending
on what kind of test instrument you're using to detect the ground, even the
holding coil may appear as a ground, as it's resistance is only around 10
ohms or so.

Although your 'ground' test doesn't prove it, my guess is that the pull-in
coil (or it's contacts) are fried.

> I'm pretty pissed.
> That was new solenoid, and those things aren't cheap.

In order to prevent this, I added an in-line fuse to my solenoid.  A
"slo-blo" fuse will only carry the pull-in current for a few seconds, then
it will blow before the pull-in coil can overheat.  I used a MDL-8 fuse,
just because that's what I had on hand; an MDL-3 would probably work.  Now,
if the pull-in contacts don't open for some reason, the fuse will blow and I
get a chance to fix the problem with the solenoid.

Randall