Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:27:16 -0400
On 3 Oct 2002 at 9:48, ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote:

> Seems to me that my mechanically almost identical GT6+ had no
> intermediate muffler, and the sound was still mellow and acceptable
> to the neighbors.

I have no idea whether my '70 GT6+ has a stock pipe, but it has no
intermediate muffler.  The online catalog at www.SpitBits.com shows a
2-piece straight pipe for the +.  Curiously, my car has a single pipe
from manifold to muffler, not a 2-piece.  I installed a stock-type
muffler from TRF to replace the PO's motorcycle-style noisemaker.
(They actually sent a stainless muffler by Falcon, I think.  It fit
perfectly.)

It is mellow enough for the neighbors, but the whole system has a
dull roar between 2000 and 3000 rpm's inside the car that I'd sure
like to make go away.  (The frequency I hear and the length fo the
pipe make me think it is the fundamental frequency of the main
exhaust pulses resonating within the pipe.)  Does everyone else's GT6
sound like this?  Is there a [cheap] solution???

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com