Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6

To: galahad@uslink.net ("Roger Langley"), triumphs@autox.team.net ("Triumph List")
Subject: Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:48:04 -0400
In a message dated Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:22:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Roger
Langley" <galahad@uslink.net> writes:

>I was somewhat taken aback at VB price for an exhaust system.   (Theirs is
>the only catalog I have.)  Without clamps and hangers, they want $50 from
>engine to "intermediate muffler", $85 for the "intermediate muffler", and
>$180 for the muffler itself.
>
>a)  Do you need the "intermediate muffler" or can I use a straight pipe?

Seems to me that my mechanically almost identical GT6+ had no intermediate
muffler, and the sound was still mellow and acceptable to the neighbors.
Perhaps there were slight differences between the rear mufflers of the 6+ and
Mk3; I don't know. I also had a '72 Mk3 with a stock system and couldn't really
find any significant difference in engine sound between the two cars, each with
stock systems.

>b)  Are there alternatives for the muffler from other car makes?

Possibly, but I've no clue what they might be.

>c)  Or am I being cheap and these prices are quite reasonable?

I've no idea. My GT6+ has been sitting in storage since 1981, so I've had no
need to price exhaust systems. :-( Hopefully the VB system is from a reputable
manufacturer. I have no idea who still makes "stock" exhaust bits for these
cars. Harmo, Burgess and/or (British) Walker used to be THE names of OEM or
"accepted" aftermarket suppliers.

--Andy Mace