Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust/Muffler system for '71 GT6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:17:27 EDT
On 3 Oct 2002 at 9:48, ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote:

> Seems to me that my mechanically almost identical GT6+ had no
> intermediate muffler, and the sound was still mellow and acceptable
> to the neighbors.

In a message dated 10/3/2002 9:30:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net writes:

> I have no idea whether my '70 GT6+ has a stock pipe, but it has no
> intermediate muffler.  The online catalog at www.SpitBits.com shows a
> 2-piece straight pipe for the +.  Curiously, my car has a single pipe
> from manifold to muffler, not a 2-piece....

The single, loooong headpipe is as original. I wonder if it simply is easier
to manufacture (and to ship) two pieces nowadays, rather than one very long
piece (still remember trying to bring a new headpipe home INSIDE my GT6+ many
years ago).

> It is mellow enough for the neighbors, but the whole system has a
> dull roar between 2000 and 3000 rpm's inside the car that I'd sure
> like to make go away.  (The frequency I hear and the length fo the
> pipe make me think it is the fundamental frequency of the main
> exhaust pulses resonating within the pipe.)  Does everyone else's GT6
> sound like this?  Is there a [cheap] solution???

I don't know; I honestly don't ever remember that sort of roar or resonance
in my car. Again, though, that was over 20 years ago.... :-)

--Andy Mace

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and
those who don't."