RE: DPOs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: DPOs
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:13:31 -0400
I bought my TR6 from a used car salesman where it sat in a dark basement
showroom. He must have seen me coming 2 miles away.

As for DPOs. how about discovering that due to an accident the front of the
car had been vertically flattened on the left side and the entire frame had
a 2" corkscrew twist along its length? The compensation was 1" of rubber
shims between body and frame on front and back opposite corners and 1", yes
1", of putty across the left half of the bonnet. First cold of winter it
cracked right down the body line of the bonnet. When I ripped it off I
discovered a metal surface that looked like it had been returned to shape by
those bone-wielding apes in 2001.

I must have been completely blinded by desire and ignorance to miss these
and several more very obvious problems. So whenever I see somebody make a
silly mistake or send a really simple question to the list, instead of
ridiculing them as I have seen done, I hold my tongue and think of my
bone-headed errors when I first got the car. Back then it wasn't an antique,
just an old convertible. I still felt like James Bond driving it even though
it's amazing some of my mistakes didn't kill me.

I like to thing that I am smarter now, but I am probably mistaken.

Mark Hooper