RE: DPOs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: DPOs
From: "John Day" <dayj@inac.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 12:32:51 -0400
I like the term 'dreaded' as well, because it can apply at any point in the
car's history. I bought my '76 TR6 in 1979 from the original (D) Previous
Owner. In three short years (actually about 2.5), the person had replaced the
original Goodyear redlines with Michelin XAS's (dunno - maybe the dealer did
that), added a Monza exhaust (enough debate about noise using them already),
installed a single-person rollbar behind the driver seat (which, we discovered
a decade ago during a minor refresher/resto) was only in with regular bolts &
washers with no structural reinforcement, and - are you ready? - cut a hole in
the glove box door to add an FM antenna booster! I bought the car in Toronto,
so it beats me what station the guy was trying to get! He'd also replaced the
original air filter element with the 'Ram-Flo' round units. Fortunately, he at
least didn't drive the p*ss out of it or anything, because I've yet to require
any rebuild of any kind on the car, and it's never failed to start & run. It's
had a couple of clutches, but I last installed a Sachs pressure plate (from a
Volvo) I was given in a parts swap for other things, and I wished I'd made that
change years before! A switch to OD transmission (no change to the speedo
needed, btw), and it's still in the garage awaiting its next use. Still - makes
you wish you wish you could've bought NEW instead of 'young'.......

Cheers, JD