Re: DPOs

To: "INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com" <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: Re: DPOs
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:04:28 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
>I've got one for the list.  The DPO of my 76 TR6 decided to make a
not-uncommon modification to the left inner fender arch in order to
facilitate getting at the oil filter canister bolt.   But instead of
drilling a nice small, round, clean hole with a key hole saw, he just tore
it open with something like a can opener.  The result is an ugly, torn
hole with metal peeled back.  But, it IS pretty easy to stick a socket
extension through to reach the oil filter canister!  Unfortunately, I
don't need that access anymore since I converted to a spin on filter! One
of these days when I finally do the "BIG" restoration, I am going to have
to fix or replace that inner fender sheet metal while I have the body off.
<

HA!  I can top that!  When I did the re-frame job on my car I rebuilt the
suspension and after assembling the right side I then began to assemble the
left.  After finding a left hand trunion out of my parts pile (the result
of parting out a couple of TR6's over the years) I attempted to screw it
onto the left hand verticle link.  After two unsuccessfull attempts I took
a close look and then attempted to screw on a RIGHT hand trunion which went
on quite nicely.

So, some DPO (and the guy I bought it from claims no knowledge) put a right
vertical link and trunion on the left side of the car.  That explains why
the car would sidestep whenever it encountered a bump.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (much better now)