engine bay and valve cover opinions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine bay and valve cover opinions
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 01:30:19 -0400
My TR6 is red, but I have a semi-gloss black engine bay. It seemed the cool
thing to do back in 1986. Now I see all the restorations with topcoat
colouring in the bay and I think the time has come to start the cleanup in
that area of the car. Back when I had the tub off the frame, I left the
engine bay alone (paintwise that is). As part of the new "project" I have
been thinking about buying myself a Christmas present. I thought one of
those aftermarket cast aluminum valve covers would be a nifty idea.

I have seen a few models out there. The following seem to be offered by a
variety of sources:

1 - polished alunimum with ribs
2 - aluminum with polished ribs and black paint (or whatever)
3 - aluminum with ribs black paint and "triumphtune" in raised lettering

So the question: What is this "triumphtune"? Is it some sort of old official
aftermarket thingy? I must admit if it only had "Triumph" on the cover I
might favour it ut of the gate, but I am afraid that to my ignorant eyes it
would look about the same as putting "engine by Matel" on the motor.

Is there an opinion about what came out better, straight aluminum or
painted? A history lesson of what came from where? I saw a picture of an
engine bay with the cover painted in red and thought it looked quite good. I
just don't want to make my engine bay look like the workings of a large
snowblower.

If anybody has done a neato colour concept in the engine bay, I would love
to see pictures to plan my approach. I am not a concours guy, but don't want
to get too too far away from the correct layout.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6