Re: engine bay and valve cover opinions

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: Re: engine bay and valve cover opinions
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
--- "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com> wrote:
> Mark Hooper wrote:
> >
> > So the question: What is this "triumphtune"? Is it some sort of old
> official
> > aftermarket thingy? I must admit if it only had "Triumph" on the cover I
> > might favour it ut of the gate, but I am afraid that to my ignorant eyes it
> > would look about the same as putting "engine by Matel" on the motor.
>
> Slightly better reputation than "engine by Mattel." <smile> SAH was,
> about three decades ago, one of the oldest and most respected producers
> of aftermarket Triumph speed parts in England. They were a family
> business for a while, sold out and became TriumphTune, and then the
> later owners sold to Moss Europe, keeping the TriumphTune name. Some of
> the quality has dropped, but not all. At any rate, no one is going to
> laugh at you for having the TriumphTune name on the valve cover. Like
> you, many people in this country don't know who they are. I only know a
> little of the story because I bought some 40DCOE manifolds for my
> earlier TR4 from SAH in 1976 and was curious, a few years ago, what had
> become of them.
>
> Cheers, Mark.

While it is true that Moss Europe bought SAH/TriumphTune, it is still run by
the son of the man who founded the company.  I found this out while researching
the history of my own TR4A, which had been modified by SAH in 1965.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"
'73 Stag 4.3L, Auto, A/C, etc "Molly"