TR3 Stator Tube and Control Head Fitment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Stator Tube and Control Head Fitment
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:23:03 EDT
List:
Before I reinstall the now repaired radiator I need to check and fix some
other items.
The control head was not canceling so I suspect a problem with the stator
tube. The control head was not secure in the wheel and has a tendency to move
slightly. So I figured I'd remove the whole mess and see what the problem
was. Sure enough the stator tube was disconnected at the top and stuck at the
bottom. So I tapped it up and still no protrusion from the wheel. Now what?
So I proceed to take off the 4 bolts holding the steering box end. Out comes
the oil, but now I can move the stator tube. Turns out it's a 'shortie'
meaning the PO saw fit to trim it! At least it had the anti-rattle spring
with the place holders.
Of course I don't have a brand new tube lying around, but I do have one from
a previous TR3 that I replaced with a better one. This one appears to be the
right length but the slot on one end (if a slot should be there) is enlarged.
It's about 1/4 in. by an inch. Now I don't recall what a good one should be
like at each end. The other end was fine with no indentation or spaces, just
cylindrical. So I put the control head thru with the plain 'good end' up to
the head.
Is there anything I can do to make this stator tube work? Also, there are no
'stops' for the anti-rattle gizmo. What can I do with it?
Is this a case of having to wait for the proper replacement part?
Thanks if you've followed this so far.

Ray Antoky
59 TR3A (now partially disassembled!)