Dirty water / Clean water

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dirty water / Clean water
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:21:49 +0100
Apologies in advance because for propriety my query should go to te
Ferguson tractor list - but they're all out involved with harvesting
at the moment, so hopefully those with "tractor engined" TR's won't
take this as too much of an affront?
I've spent the day rebuilding the mechanical governor (which of course
you don't have) and this means removing the front axle, radiator and
bonnet - takes about 40 minutes, so no sweat there.
In the draining process and taking off the bottom hose, the usual
filth came out. I then opened the block drain tap and mysteriously had
perfectly clear water emerging with only a little discoloured liquid
before it finally dribbled and stopped. I've reverse flushed the
radiator with a high pressure hose and done the same through the
engine in both directions with the block tap open and closed. The
volume of water coming out seems to equate with what's going in and
I've stripped out the water pump and 'stat to see if there were any
blockages there but all seems OK. All very curious. Had to have the
head skimmed earlier this year and I'm satisfied there aren't any
blockages caused by refitting. Apart from an obvious airlock, I can't
think of any other reason why the coolant should have such a different
appearance between clear and dirty but wondered if anyone had also had
a similar prob?

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318 - Grey/Grey
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O) - Sienna/Tan
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO - Mallard/Black

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
THE CROCUS AND A CORNFLOWER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus
The SLOW progress with 'Canley Girl':