Re: Check your Heritage Cert

To: <TeamTiger21@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Check your Heritage Cert
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:05:34 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Barry Schonberger wrote:
Received my TR3 Heritage Trust certificate last month. Under column
11.
Details of Factory Fitted Equipment, it says "5.50 wire wheels."
Called the
Archive Department today to confirm that listing, since 5.50" wire
wheels are
not listed anywhere as an option in 1956. There appears to be some
confusion
as to whether the micro fish record means 5.50" wide wheels or
5.50x15"
tires. A number of the cars built around mine have that listing. If
your
certificate listed wire wheels, please check it and let me know how
yours
reads. Thanks

Barry - taking an educated guess, I'd say the 5.50 relates to the tyre
size. It's well known that wire wheels at different times had a
variable number of spokes but AFAIK Standard-Triumph never offered
options on spoke count - i.e 48 spoke and 60 spoke. Equally, it never
specified wheel size or wheel offset (up to 1972) as these were
constant sizes.
The production tally card (now on microfilm) from which your
certificate was produced would certainly have had "wire wheels" as a
line fitment specified for your car from the original order. Equally,
all tally cards always stated the tyre size without exception for all
cars - and if they were whitewalls this would also appear. I'd
interpret the result on your cert as 5.50x15 blackwall tyres on wire
wheels wit a spoke count appropriate to that period - probably 48? Be
assured, those microfiche are sometimes incredibly difficult things to
read with a granularity on the negative akin to railroad track
ballast. Hope this allays your concerns.

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318 - Grey/Grey
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O) - Sienna/Tan
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO - Mallard/Black