RE: TR3A in Argentina

To: "'triumphs@Autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A in Argentina
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:09:08 -0700
> Thanks a lot for your answer. In fact I forgot to mention that OP has been
> going down during last year. Had the oil pump disassembled it showed a big
> amount of worn on the shaft. New shaft in and pressure valve regulated and
> OP raised to 3kilos with engine hot (2.5K before)No big deal.
> Cold engine 5 kilos. Are the two noises related? Or is just that I have 2
> problems, tappets and pistons.

It's hard for me to say.  As long as the valves have been adjusted, I
wouldn't expect tappet noise to get louder with wear.  TR3s of course have
mechanical tappets, so there's no question of a hydraulic one being stuck.
It's normal for the clatter to be audible with a cold engine, and it should
fade some (but still be audible with the bonnet open) as the engine warms
up.  Some performance cams use larger clearances than the stock cam, so they
also make more noise.  However, the knocking noise is what I would be
worried about.

Randall