Re: Cable throttle

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cable throttle
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:41:26 +0100
Hi Randall, Mark
I can Attest to this, it is the engine bouncing on its mountings that causes
the problem. New engine / Gearbox mounts will help if the old ones are a bit
mushy. My MKI 2000 Saloon has this problem, I find it is more pronounced
under acceleration or braking, but that may be due to differences in the
linkage. On mine I notice a definite pulsing of the pedal.
A fix for mine that I know about is to change to the pedal and cable linkage
from the later MKII saloons, I have one but am waiting until I get the
injection sorted for it as it is a different cable!
One thing I do know is that a lot of the carb based throttle linkages from
Triumph are prone to slight wear at pivot points which causes a great deal
of lost motion, so ensure any bits you get are in good order, or be prepared
to refurbish which will require access to a lathe to make new pivots and /
or bushes.

Another fix which I just remembered is to utilise the main bits of the rod
linkage and replace one of the rods with a cable, this requires the making
of two brackets to support the outer cable, the car I have seen this done on
was able to utilise existing holes on the body to mount an angle iron
bracket to retain the outer that end, and I think a Herald 13/60 carb
linkage at the other end.
Hope this helps, (if you manage to follow the meanderings!)

Graham.