RE: Cable throttle

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: Cable throttle
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:29:20 -0400
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>The problem is that when the throttle is almost closed, the engine moves
enough that the movement of your foot cannot keep uniform tension on the
pedal without closing the throttle that causes the car to slow down, which
causes your body to lurch forward which causes your foot to hit the
throttle
which causes your body to lurch back in the seat which causes the throttle
to close..... The famous TR leapfrogging movement. A cable connection
between pedal and linkage would probably mimimise the startup of this
effect.
<

What you need, Mark, is a "nautilust" crank on the throttle (as is found on
the TR8 - and many other cable operated cars) where the cable operates on a
larger diameter near closed throttle and a smaller diameter as the throttle
opens.  This makes the engine less sensitive to pedal movement when the
throttle is near closed.  The mechanical linkage, in oand of itself, is not
the problem.  The geometery is such that engine rocking has almost no
effect on throttle position (but engine pitch and fore/aft movement
certainly does) but the TR6 has rather stiff engine mounts and there is
precious little movement - if the mounts are in good shape.  But the
throttle is sensitive.

Which reminds me of when I was putting my TR6 back together I decided to
take it for a short test drive without a seat (sitting on the floor).
Without a seat back for support I found myself oscillating between hanging
on to the steering wheel and holding my self back for the very reason you
cite.  Perhaps your problem is the seat is too far back.  <G>  Move the
seat up and buckle the seat belt.  See if that helps.

Cheers

Dave