Re: Hot running Spit (Long - again)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot running Spit (Long - again)
From: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:30:39 EDT
Ok, here's a quick update on the replies I got so far and
what I did/will do:

1) Fuel Mixture:
   Checked the plugs 2 weeks ago and they are a nice tan.
   Did the "lift the piston" test and it look OK.

2) Compression test:
   Did that last year and everything was OK.
   Will do it again tonight to verify.

3) Head Gasket failure:
   Changed the oil last week.  Oil was nice and black!
   No traces of coolant in it.  Will check again tonight.

   The coolant that overflowed was that nice shade of
   grenn I should expect it to be.
   Will double check tonight.

4) Water pump:
   Last time I checked (two weeks ago) there was no
   apparent signs of leakages from the weep hole.
   Will double check tonight.

5) Leak anywhere else:
   There is a little coolant located on the frame just
   bellow the bottom hose of the rad.  Never actually
   see any coolant coming out of that pipe.  Might
   actually be coming from the overflow bottle (also
   located over the same frame rail).
   Will check again tonight

6) Thermostat:
   New 180 degree (I think) thermostat installed last
   summer.  Will test it tonight and also try the
   spare one I have.

7) Fan belt:
   New fan belt installed last summer.  Will check
   tonight if tight enough.

8) Voltage stabilizer:
   Gas gauge was where it should have been last night (at
   1/4) before I filled up.  Plus, I know when the engine
   is running way too hot when idle becomes erratic and
   I have to pull the choke a little so that it doesn't
   die while waiting for the traffic light to change.
   So I'm assuming the temp gauge is accurate

9) Rad cap: (Most likely and hopefully the culprit)
   Rad cap was on the car when I bought it 2 years ago.
   I suspect it to have been on the car for the 10 years
   the car was sitting in a garage.
   Will get a new rad cap tonight (if I can find one
   locally).  13psi (car is MK3 FDU50913L)

Thanks
Stef
'69 Spit - Too hot!