Re: New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions
From: "Jerry Oliver" <slantws@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:11:51 -0700
Hello,
1.) All TR4As were negative ground. TR4s were positive, except for a very
few special configurations (police).
2.) The amp meter should operate about like any other generator/regulator
automobile. Discharge with lights on and not running. Charge after start,
varying with rpm, dropping back to just above zero as the battery is charged
and the regulator reduces charge.
3.) The SU HS6 carburetor has only two adjustments. Slow running (idle) and
mixture. Adjustment is not like that of H series. Refer to a SU manual or a
Jaguar XK150 (minus the "starting carb", a type of choke) manual for a very
simple method of adjustment. I just briefly looked at the  TR4/4A workshop
manual and the Haynes manual, and see only the Zenith Stromberg carburetor
for 4As, and the earlier series TR4 SU. But, maybe I'm missing it.
4.) Most TR4As came with a 5.90X15 tire, which is about a 165, but there was
an optional 185 size. I personally don't care for Michelins, but a tire
about 185X15X5 or so should fit the stock rim and be more than adequate
unless you are doing something other than normal street driving. I never saw
a new USA market TR4A (and I was around then) with redlines. Most had steel
wheels (a sort of yellow off white color) with hubcaps, or painted silver
wire wheels, and occasionally body color wire wheels. Chrome/stainless wire
wheels were rare, and probably dealer installed.
Jerry Oliver
Olympia, WA
'66 TR4A