New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions
From: "Homebru" <homebru@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:39:27 -0400
Hi Triumph Owners-

I recently bought a 1967 TR4A, after looking for sometime.  I bought the TR4A,
because my Dad had 2 TR4As and a TR3B.
So far I love it!  I practically sleep in it, I spend so much time in the
garage.

Several questions:
1. Pertaining to this list - Is there a FAQs posted anywhere, or archives?
This may help me in asking redundant questions.
2. The battery that the previous owner had died after 3 months.  It's possible
that it was a bad battery, and he didn't drive it enough but I doubt it.  The
question I have concerns the ammeter: when I'm running, the needle centers at
0.  Under power, the needle moves to the right (negative).  When I turn on the
lights, it moves to the left (positive).  This seems counter intuitive.  Is
this normal?  Thoughts?
3.  The previous owner mentioned that it needed timing adjusted, and
carburettors adjusted.  I replaced the plugs, rotor, points, gapped,
cleaned/flexstoned the contacts in dist cap and adjusted timing per manual.  I
then tried to balance carbs (SU HS6s).  I got the air flow balanced using idle
screws and measuring with Unisyn.  It was running rich, and I adjusted the jet
adjustment nuts on the bottom to the right.  It seemed to help, but the
rearmost would not go any tighter, and the rpms continued to rise as carb
piston was raised 3mm.  What should the idle rpms be?  Any ideas on what I
should do to lean the rearmost carb?
4.  Last one for awhile, and I bet this one has been asked a bazillion times
before, but I'm new :o}  I am thinking of buying some new chrome wire wheels.
Are there any clearance/steer angle issues with using the TR6 15x6 72 spokes?
It seems this would give me more modern and better choices of tires, along
with an increased contact patch.

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed,

Chris Mercer in Greenville, SC
(any TR owners nearby?)