RE: New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New Owner, New Lister, probably old questions
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:08:40 -0700
> Hi Triumph Owners-

Welcome to the list, Chris.

> Several questions:
> 1. Pertaining to this list - Is there a FAQs posted anywhere,

There is a FAQ posted at
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm
but it hasn't been updated in awhile.

> or archives?

The former archives are apparently dead.  MJB, the list administrator, has
been promising us new archives someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

> The
> question I have concerns the ammeter: when I'm running, the
> needle centers at
> 0.  Under power, the needle moves to the right (negative).  When
> I turn on the
> lights, it moves to the left (positive).  This seems counter
> intuitive.  Is
> this normal?  Thoughts?

It's not normal, my guess is that someone has reversed the polarity of your
battery, without swapping the ammeter leads.  I don't own a 4A, but I
believe the general consensus was that they were originally negative ground,
while 4s and all earlier TRs were positive ground.

> 3.  The previous owner mentioned that it needed timing adjusted, and
> carburettors adjusted.  I replaced the plugs, rotor, points, gapped,
> cleaned/flexstoned the contacts in dist cap and adjusted timing
> per manual.  I
> then tried to balance carbs (SU HS6s).  I got the air flow
> balanced using idle
> screws and measuring with Unisyn.  It was running rich, and I
> adjusted the jet
> adjustment nuts on the bottom to the right.  It seemed to help, but the
> rearmost would not go any tighter, and the rpms continued to rise as carb
> piston was raised 3mm.  What should the idle rpms be?  Any ideas on what I
> should do to lean the rearmost carb?

Check the float level, and clean the float valve.  Also inspect the float to
be sure it's in good condition, I've heard reports of modern 'reformulated'
gasoline damaging original plastic components.  It may be that you need to
replace the jet and needle in the carb, they can wear and cause this symptom
if the jet has not been properly centered.  Idle rpm is not particularly
important, anything in the 500-1000 rpm range will do.

> 4.  Last one for awhile, and I bet this one has been asked a
> bazillion times
> before, but I'm new :o}  I am thinking of buying some new chrome
> wire wheels.
> Are there any clearance/steer angle issues with using the TR6
> 15x6 72 spokes?

I'll leave that one for others, especially since whether you have IRS or not
may make a difference.  However, examine your splined adapters carefully,
and consider buying new ones to go with your new wheels even if they pass
inspection.  Adapters are cheaper than wheels, and worn adapters will cause
your new wheels to wear rapidly.

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)