Re: Electronic Voltage Stabilizer

To: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Subject: Re: Electronic Voltage Stabilizer
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:32:29 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Brian Borgstede
>I have been running one for over ten years now.
I had a model railroad buddy help me make it.
The problem is that I can't remember how!
It's a circuit that he used to run HO trains.
It uses a 12V variable voltage regulator pot,
and maybe a resistor and a cap (he was always
big on a clean output).  I remember that we built
the unit and set the output to 10V.  I didn't like
what the gauges were telling me, so I turned
the adjusting pot until they looked right.
I'm real sorry that I can't remember what
parts and how they went together.  I remember
an input, output and a ground.  The ground
is important, just like the original.
<

The most common part to use in this application is the
LM317T.  An adjustable, 1.5 amp, three terminal regulator
in a TO220 power tab package.  That and a pot and a couple
resistors and caps and away you go.

Try: www.nationalsemiconductor.com and do a search
on LM317.  It should point you to the data sheet that will
include some application examples.

Have fun

Dave