RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter

To: <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:16:19 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> okay, then I am currently checking on a different temp range thermostatic
> control.  The current on comes on a 185degF and off at 175degF.
> I am seeing
> of one that comes on at either 190 or 195degF

Either may be appropriate, depending on where it is checking the
temperature, and what water thermostat you are using.  The fan shouldn't
come on until the thermostat is fully open, and should shut off before the
thermostat starts to close.

> I also think it may be time to change the coolant as it has turned a shade
> of rust (oxidation) from inside the block.  Please remember that
> the engine
> was not use in at least a year, so I expected this.

Some 'Fast Flush' might be a good idea too.  One other point you might not
be aware of, it's best to use distilled water to fill the radiator.  Tap
water contains minerals that can coat the inside of the block and radiator,
and interfere with cooling.  The stuff sold at the grocery store for use in
steam irons should be fine, and around here it sells for less than $1/gallon
(US).

Randall