RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:56:39 -0700
> On the way to work this morning, I tried an experiment, with the electric
> fan running and driving with the rpm about 3K the ammeter switched between
> approx 3 amps and 15 amps.  This I would expect.

Actually, that I wouldn't expect.  Sounds like you might have a bad
connection, or a 'sticky' control box.  Or perhaps your fan was switching on
and off ?

> Then I turned on the
> headlights for about 2 minutes and the ammeter went to about an 7amp
> discharge.  The headlights are original Lucas Tripods.

Depending on what your radiator fan draws, that may be fairly normal.  The
stock dynamo is just barely adequate for the original electrical load
without the optional heater, I wouldn't expect it to be able to power both
the headlights and the fan.  However, you should only have to run the fan
for short periods of time, so the battery should be able to cover the
discharge.  Even a somewhat 'tired' battery should be able to supply 7 amps
for several hours, and still start the engine.

My fan draws something like 15 amps.  Stock headlamps were around 3 amps
each on low/dip beam (although newer bulbs are likely to be higher wattage),
plus about another 4 amps for the other lights.  Then there's about 3 amps
for the ignition, and we're up to 28 amps.  The original generator/dynamo
was rated for 19 ...

Randall