RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:10:52 -0700 o m>
> Now for the problem, the ammeter read 15 amps steady for about 2 minutes,
> which is what I would expect.  Then the needle started bouncing between 0
> and about 10 amps, sometimes it stops bouncing for a period but
> then starts
> again. All this time the engine is simply idling. The generator,
> control box
> have been rebuilt.
>
> Is this one of those, I am not used to my own car's operation? Or is there
> something wrong?

David, this may be normal if the reading when it stopped bouncing was at the
high end (10-15 amps).  The control box in effect has only two settings for
generator output, full output and very small output.  It normally switches
rapidly between those two settings, too rapid for the ammeter to follow.
But, when full output is just barely more than necessary to keep the voltage
at the set point, the switching can become slow enough to be visible.

I would look for the reason why your battery was dead (did the ammeter read
heavy discharge while you were driving at night ?) and not worry too much
about the jumpy needle, especially if it goes away if you rev the engine a
bit.

Randall