Re: Oil Pressure Question

To: kurtisj@cox-internet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Question
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 16:57:07 EDT
In a message dated 27-May-02 15:37:56 Eastern Daylight Time,
kurtisj@cox-internet.com writes:

> I have a (probably stupid) oil pressure question.  What affect does oil
> viscosity and engine temperature have on oil pressure?  Also, what is the
> typical cause for low oil pressure readings?  My "cold" pressure readings at
> idle are decent, but as the engine heats up, my oil pressure drops.  Also, I
> don't notice a big change (once I reach temperature) between idle and "at
> speed" pressures.

Viscosity and temperature have a noticeable effect on pressure.  It is normal
for the pressure to drop a little after the engine heats up.  You should have
a pressure of between 65 and 75 at speed over 30 mph.  At idle it will drop
to around 10 or 20.  I use Mobile1 15w-50 weight oil in my engine and that's
what I get.

If your pressure is lower throughout the range you can adjust the pressure
very simply.  If you need to do that come back to me and I'll talk you
through it.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant