Re: Sudden gas gauge failure?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sudden gas gauge failure?
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:31:22 EDT
In a message dated 05/22/2002 10:20:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CarlSereda@aol.com writes:

>I think gas 'senders' usually are sporadic or scratchy before they die ie;
>might see needle spasms at the gauge. So if it just up and died instantly
>maybe it's something else?
If it just reads "EMPTY", I'd bet on a bad wiring connection, probably
ground. Check at both the sender unit and at the indicator gauge. Also the
fine internal wire of the sender unit may have broken.This would be a sudden
failure.

>The gas sender inserts into top of gas tank.. barely accessible behind
>luggage trunk cardboard backing - probably even more tough to get at from
the
>rear seat panel area. Someone just talked about using a side-winder screw
>driver to finagle it out from the trunk side - probably worth a try before
>removing tank!
Actually, I found that from the rear seat panel was easier, (at least in a
"3"). In any case, replace the sender unit screws with allen (hex) type,
easier to get in (and out) with an Allen key.

Also, I've had less than satisfying results with TRF sender units for my
TR3A. I've spoke to both Dave and Ray at TRF. The coil wrap on these units is
not tight the full length of the shaft, especially at the "FULL" end. Between
"FULL" and "HALF", the coil wrap binds up in front of the internal lever
connected to the float arm. You can see it by removing the top cover on the
sender unit. A second replacement unit they sent me was marginally better,
but still erratic between "FULL"and "HALF". From "HALF to "EMPTY" it reads
fine, and coil wrap in this area is tight. I got frustrated with
troubleshooting and removing the sender unit, now I look the other way when
it starts jumping around . Both sender units exhibited the same binding, poor
coil wrap at the "FULL" end, with either of the two indicator gauges I have.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)

Note. I am not familiar with the voltage stabilizer used in the TR4 gauge
circuit, so I guess that this could also be suspect, particularly if the
gauge is reading "EMPTY". But then again, I just shooting in the dark with
this tidbit.