Re: SU Carb problem (TR3)

To: "Mike Thompson" <miket@rio.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Carb problem (TR3)
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:21:52 -0700
Mike,

I haven't just been there, I think I lived there. Of course that doesn't
make me any smarter, but here's what I learned, aided by  the collective
wisdom of this list, naturally.

First make sure that the jet assemblies have the right washers and copper
bushings in the right places.  If your reuild kit didn't come with new
springs for inside the jet assembly, try to get them.  Also make sure that
an extra copper washer that goes on the top of the assembly isn't stuck
inside the carb body.

If you have cork washers, soak them in oil for a day.  The rubber ones don't
have to be soaked but I don't think a light grease coating would hurt.

Polish the jets, (I didn't forget, Fred).  I used some red jewlers rouge and
a buffing wheel.

Put a light coat of grease on the jets, Randall recommended Molybdimum(sp?)
so I bought a can of that.

Put it all back together. The large nut, I found, has to be pretty tight.

Observe leaking gas. Start over with another set of washers.

If you start with the jet adjusters turned out 1 and 1/2 turns, it should
start and run well enough to be able to adjust it right.  I put a mark on
one of the flats with a permanant maker so I would have a reference as I
fiddled with it.

Hope that helps-
Bob