Sudden gas gauge failure?

To: <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Subject: Sudden gas gauge failure?
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 05:59:18 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hey Noah,
     I installed a new gas gauge from Moss and it turned out that the float
had a leak in it under where the rod wrapped around in the groove. The float
was 100% full of fuel so it looked empty to me. When your tank is mostly
full, you should be able to see the float when you look in the filler cap.
     It was a pinhole leak and I fixed it by melting the plastic gently with
a soldering iron. Seems to be working okay.
     Also, my previous sending unit gasket from Moss was neoprene and leaked
like a basket. I bought a replacement from TRF that was rubber/cork and it
hasn't leaked a drop.
     Good luck. I hope that this helps.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA