Re: TR3 Temp Gauge

To: sppchicago@excite.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Temp Gauge
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:24:08 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/2002 2:06:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
sppchicago@excite.com writes:

> .  Without removing the old gauge (yet), can I just attach the new tube?  If
> I cannot do this, any suggestions where I can get a more authentic-faced
> replacement gauge?

This is not the type of work that you can do at home.  If it is an original
mechanical gauge it is an ether bulb type commonly used in the era.  The
ether increases in pressure through evaporation as the temp goes up and that
pressue mechanically moves the needle.

There is a very easy fix for your problem though.  Get it rebuilt at MOMA,
1321 2nd  NW, Albuquerque, NM  87102  505-766-6661.  Margaret Lucas, th
owner, has about 3o years experience restoring all types of ancient auto
gauges.  I've have numerous gauges done by them, always an excellent job too.
She get work from all over the world.  Last time I was in she has some gauges
from Al Moss's Three Wheeled 'Morgan whe was refurbishing.  Yes, they will do
all of your gauges, recalibrated and cosmetically.

If you have only the original gauge without the tube that's fine.  You get a
new tube, a new bulb if needed but they can usually reuse the old bulb, a new
face and a nice white needle. What you get back is 100% original, all clean
and new looking.  Also pay the extra buck or so to have the brass fitting
installed that lives in the T stat housing.  This eliminates the age old
problem of the threads going away in that pot metal housing. Just mumble
something about wanting that extra thingy for the T Stat housing and they
know what you want.  Margaret's son actually does all the ether bulb stuff.

Can't help with cost info, but call them.  NFI, except for paying them myself
!!

Bob Paul
Corrales NM