Re: TR4 Overdrive -click-click

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Overdrive -click-click
From: "Robert Erickson" <oldenglish@searchbug.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:14:23 -0500
Steven:

The symptoms you describe mimic a diagonistic test I discovered many years ago.
Accelerate to 35 or 40 mph.  This will bring the oil pressure up in the
overdrive to operating level.  While still in 3rd gear, release your foot from
the gas pedal,(engine braking) and engage the OD switch.  Wait two seconds, then
release the OD switch.  You may or may not notice a slowing in revolutions when
you engage the OD, but when you release the OD
you should definitely notice a more unrestricted, free-wheeling deceleration.
This test works only with deceleration.

Now, what it means is a previous owner has broken a circlip in the OD that
secures the cone clutch to the thrust ring assembly.
It's a two-bit part replacement that requires a complete tear down of the OD
unit.   The good news is that other than this circlip, your OD is probably in
wonderful shape.  I have repaired many overdrives with this problem.  Usually
the circlip breaks into two pieces, but I've seen three pieces on occation.

The next step is yours.  I recommend asking assistance from your club
transmission guru if you plan on confronting this adventure on your own.  From
your discription of the symptoms, I'd bet big money that a broken cone clutch
circlip is the correct diagnosis.
Contact me off-list if you wish.

Bob Erickson

59 TR3, 69&76 TR6, more