RE: Some TR3 questions

To: Kurtis <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Some TR3 questions
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 18:29:59 -0700
> What's the problem with non-metal core wires with the original distributor
> cap?  I assume we're talking about the cap with the metal screws
> that screw
> into the wires to make contact (?).  The reason I ask is that I have
> non-metal core wires on mine, and they seem to work fine.  I was a bit
> concerned about them at first, but when a head an installed them,
> and tested
> the connection.  Everything checked out, and the car seems to run fine.

My experience has been that the carbon breaks down right where the screw
penetrates the core, and eventually (several thousand miles) burns through.

YMMV of course, if they work OK for you then use them.

It also occurs to me I wasn't very specific, this discussion would probably
not apply to any of the current 'super wire' constructions.  I was referring
to the old fashioned carbon core spark plug wires that were standard
equipment on most American cars.

Randall