Re: Some TR3 questions

To: datesmanaric@netscape.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some TR3 questions
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:31:39 -0400
In a message dated Wed, 8 May 2002  2:28:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
datesmanaric@netscape.net writes:

>Greetings all,
>
>About to take a nice long trip in the TR3 and have some TR3 questions for
>you....
>
>1. Reset the point gap for the first time since getting the car last year.
>Its now at the proper 0.015".  Was at 0.007.  Any thoughts as to what effect
>the smaller gap would have?  Can't just hop in and take it for a drive as its
>raining and the car's still up on the jack stands.  Just curious what fixing
>the gap will do.

Effectively, it should make the car start easier and run better. That's about
it.

>2. Oil for the tranny- book says Castrol GTX.  Use 20W50 or something along
>the lines of 90W gear oil?  I remember something a while back about additives
>adversely effecting the synchro cups, but can't recall what the final
>determination was.

Either oil should be fine. Not sure whether the GL4 v GL5 issue applies here,
but I'm sure you'll hear from many other folks on that issue as well as motor v
gear oil. ;-)

>3. Oil for the differential- What to use?

One way of the other, it must be an EP (extreme pressure) oil. Otherwise, see
my answer to #2.

>4. Went looking in the toolbox for a socket to fit the head on the jack, but
>it seems to be a funny size.  Under 9/16", over 1/2", under 14mm, over 13mm.
>What is it?  Guess I should go buy the proper handle....

Can't help on that one.

>5. Replacing plug wires- Got a new set from one of the Big 3 and the new wires
>aren't the same.  Old ones (which I do not know to be proper) have soft rubber
>boots that have only a slight bend to them.  New ones are hard plastic and 90
>degree.  Also, the new wire to the coil has a push on plug.  The old one is
>screw on (as is the coil, which I also do not know to be proper.  Silver case
>and reddish top with a female threaded hole for the wire to the dizzy).  Any
>thoughts as to which is right?  The box that came from the supplier was
>labelled for TR2/3, but....

>From the description you give, that coil sounds like an old-style Lucas Sports
>Coil. It's a perfectly appropriate and useful upgrade for the TR. Hopefully,
>the new coil HT lead has a wire core that you can easily adapt to the screw-in
>fitting. (Don't lose that little brass "split washer" that should be on the
>old wire now!) The original Lucas coil would have had the same screw-in HT
>lead setup.

--Andy Mace