Car Ramps

To: "Rick Murray" <murray54@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Car Ramps
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:52:22 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Rick Murray"
>I would like to able to put my 75 TR6 up on all four wheels at once and I
don't particularly want to use jack stands.  I thought that your basic
$30.00/pair Rhino ramps at Auto Zone would work but the manufacturer's
warnings on them specifically say "do not use to put both ends of vehicle
up
at the same time".  Anybody have experience with this?  What have you used?
I'm looking for a safe way to do this and I don't want to do anything
stupid.  Any suggestions appreciated.
<

You can't "drive" up onto all four of them since you would have to shove
one set under the rockers of the car and they won't fit.  You could drive
the front wheels up on two of them and then jack up the back end and set
the other pair nder the rear wheels but if you have them facing the same
way you have an opportunity for the car to roll off.  If that happens
whilst you are inderneath...

I guess if you set the rear set in the opposite direction as the fronts (so
that the ramps are facing each other) then the car would have to roll over
the lip at the end of the ramps regardless of which direction it choses to
escape.  Set your parking brake!  Do this only on level ground.

Since you have to jack up one end anyway, why not use jack stands on the
rear?

Dave