TR6 - overdrive wannabe

To: Richard R Olson <Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov>
Subject: TR6 - overdrive wannabe
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:22:12 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Richard R Olson
>Tired of listening to my car trying to keep up with the traffic on
     the NJ Turnpike at 80 MPH @ 3500 RPM, I spent last month looking
     for an A-type O/D to put into my currently non-O/D 1972 TR6.
     Didn't have any luck, the one or two sources I found wanted a core
     - I no gots...

     So, if I expand my search to include the J-type, and am lucky
     enough to find one, does anyone care to comment on the mechanical
     mods necessary to put that type in a '72?

     Is it, as I suspect,  just the rear mount point, or are we talkin'
     more than that.  I have a '73 parts car; could that help as far a
     donating something?  I haven't looked at the '73 rear mount in many
     years.
    <

Rick, I put a J-type on my 71 and here's what I did:

The overdrive body occupies the space normally occupied by the rear mount
so another mount must be fabricated.  I used two rearward facing 3/8-16
tapped holes on the body of the unit and fabed a mount out of steel angle.
This was bolted to the frame with some rubber washers.  Also, the solenoid
interferes with a part of the original mount features on the frame and
these had to be cut away.  The rest of the installation was straight
forward.

That was 12 years ago (or so) and I have forgotten some of the details.
These things become evident as you progress.  I also transplanted a frame
from a 73 under my car about 5 years ago and now I have the factory mounts.

I am alos told that many late 80's Volvo's also used this overdrive so they
may be more readily available.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (A-type overdrive (no, it's not for sale))
71 TR6 (J-type)
80 TR8 (5 speed)