Re: TR6 - overdrive wannabe

To: "Richard R Olson" <Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 - overdrive wannabe
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:00:06 -0500
Richard R Olson, wanting to add an OD to his TR6, wrote:

>      if I expand my search to include the J-type, and am lucky
>      enough to find one, does anyone care to comment on the mechanical
>      mods necessary to put that type in a '72?
>
>      Is it, as I suspect,  just the rear mount point, or are we talkin'
>      more than that.

The answer is "more than that". In addition to replacing the rear mount (the
easy part), you'll need to change the output shaft of the transmission -
which will give you the opportunity to inspect and overhaul the trans
internals while you're there. Then there's the wiring and fiddling with the
speedo connection.

Other solutions exist -

You can occasionally find used gearbox/OD combinations for sale, usually
from cars that are being parted out. Then it's just a matter of changing the
rear mount, swapping in the new box, wiring up the whole shebang . . . and
running the risk of discovering that the gearbox is junk and the OD is
non-functional after sitting in a field for 10 years.

Rebuilt transmission/OD units (J type) from Triumph 2.5 saloons show up
occasionally on eBay for swapping into TR6s. Installation apparently
requires using the clutch from a GT6.

"Conversion" kits also appear on eBay from time to time, consisting of a J
type OD and the pile of parts necessary to do the conversion on a TR6

I have no experience with either of these last two possibilities. I opted
for a unit taken from a parts car . . . and have only had to rebuild the
transmission twice so far.

Jim Hill
Madison WI