Smokin' !!! (Once again, long!)

To: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Subject: Smokin' !!! (Once again, long!)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:22:15 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Stephane St-Amant"
>This morning, hoping to take the car to work and enjoy the beautifull
weather,
I go in the car, and try to start it... Click again but nothing else.
Battery
dead?  Decided to boost with the Honda.  Still, only a click.  Check the
battery
voltage 12 volts (14volts while being boosted).  Check voltage at between
the
negative terminal of the battery and the solenoid terminal that goes to the
starter: 8 volts?!?  After spraying some WD-40 (to remove humidity) and
tried
to start again, same click but also smoke from the solenoid!  The WD-40 was
burning off!!!

Question is, is this one way solenoids die or do I have ground problem
somewhere?
 Could the cleaning of the connection now let all the "juice" available go
through
and the old solenoid cna't take that much power anymore?  I'm I totally
lost
in left field?

Also, I noticed that the ignition light doesn't come on when I turn the key
to the ON position like it should do.
<

Steph,

The 8 volts sounds like the contacts in the solenoid are no longer
conducting current as they should.  You could take a jumper cable and jump
around the solenoid and see what happens.  ( A new solenoid is not very
expensive).

As far as the "no ignition light" : is there anything else that doesn't
work?  Like turn signals, wipers, gauges?  Is the bulb still good?  Turn on
the key and if the light doesn't light measure the voltage at the yellow
wire at the voltage regulator.  If you get 12 volts there then there is a
disconnect with in the regulator.

Bon chance

Dave