RE: Painting inside a frame

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Painting inside a frame
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:29:55 -0400
THis thread may be a bit old, I am once again behind on my digests.

I have used my undercoating gun (bought from JC Whitney years ago, looks
identical to gun sold by Eastwood but about 1/2 the price to spray two
part epoxy primer into body and frame cavities.  Then I top coat with
Dynol (sp) synthetic wax undercoating.

I would love to hear of anyone that successfully injected two part foam
into body or frame cavities using "home grade technology and
equipment".  The June 2001 issue of Automotive Engineering (SAE
magazine) had an article on the use of "foam in place" to both quiet and
stiffen body structures.  I have been dreaming of how to inject the foam
(not to mention how to mix it at the nozzle in the cavity). I have
bought 2 part urethane foam in quart cans (about $25) and mixing small
quantities at a time, manually stirring in a cup and poured/brushed the
liquid in place for a home improvement project - the only way I could
imagine getting this
into a frame or body cavity would be to have the body or frame on a
rotisserie and even then the opening might not be in the optimal place
to pour.  If it is done wrong then you end up with a lot of trapped
water pockets and IMO areas that will rust out sooner.