RE: TR6 - Ignition Problems

To: "Bob Swafford" <swaff@att.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Ignition Problems
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:48:34 -0600
I was with you until the end of your explanation.  Try this to see what
happens.

Remove the coil side of the wire going from the condenser to the negative
lead at the coil.  Attach a 12 volt test lamp from that wire, to the
positive battery terminal.  Lift one side of the rear of the car so only one
rear wheel is off the ground (I prefer lifting the driver's side because
it's closer to the distributor).  Place the transmission in 4th, and remove
all spark plugs.  Turn the rear wheel BY HAND as if you are going forward.
As you near the beginning of the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, you
should see the test lamp light.  For a '76, the test lamp should turn off at
10 degrees before top dead center.  If the light doesn't illuminate, or it
doesn't turn off, check your points, the point gap, proper wiring to the
coil, ....

Good luck!

Eric
'76 TR6 (CF52678U +O)

Cranking the engine with the
distributor cap removed shows no spark at the points.  Yet, with the switch
on, and the test light clipped to the positive side of the coil, I can see
the
voltage come and go when I operate the points.  I regapped, changed the
condesor and still no joy.