Re: Paint experts

To: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Paint experts
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:37:51 -0700
Cc: davidt@opentext.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
That's one of the problems with multi-part paint jobs.  Unless you get layers
that are the same in the mix temperature, they don't dry equally and one
layer ends up curing at a different rate than the adjoining layer.  That is
where the spider web effect starts.  I painted a guitar with an acrylic
lacquer metalic paint over a clear lacquer seal cost.  It looked great but when
I left the guitar in the car overnight and it got really cold, the
whole thing cracked just like you mention.

Off came the paint and a different sealer fixed the problem.

Joe