Re: Paint experts

To: davidt@opentext.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint experts
From: GreenBugeye@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:36:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/01 11:38:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
davidt@opentext.com writes:

> Are there any out there, cause I have a question about it mainly for myself
> education. I saw a car that was painted metallic gold and then red on top.
> The gold flecks appeared through the red to give a really cool effect.

Some of the modern car paints contain mica, very small solid particles
(almost like dust) that serve as prisms, changing the cast and color of the
paint from one angle to another.  Chrysler was using paint with mica on their
big sedans a few years ago (a friend's dad had an LHS that was bronze from
straight on but appeared purple from an angle).  Mica is incredibly expensive
to add to paint and it is very hard to match in a spot repair, but it does
give a unique effect.

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A