Re: Paint experts

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Paint experts
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:22:10 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sounds like a derivation of a "Candy" paint scheme.  The Candy colors are
transparent pigments that are applied over a base coat and enough coats
applied to achieve the tint that is desired.  Since the paint is clear (except
for it's tint) you can put glitter or other things on top of the base
coat (usually silver or gold) and still be able to see it through the outer
layers.

But if you are applying glitter, you will not only need to spray a lot of
pigment coats but probably a number of clear outer coats on after the
desired color is reached.   This, accompanied by a lot of sanding between coats
to achieve a smooth surface.

If done right, it looks great.  But is is not a really good idea for a street
car because repairs are not easy and typically require removal of the
entire coating down to the metal.

Now, if it pleases you, go for it!!  :)

Joe