Re: Look out, he's thinking again!

To: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Look out, he's thinking again!
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:32:34 -0500
If you have a modified engine and want to flow more air/fuel into it then
by all means add a carb or two. Some folks have converted their TR6s to run
with triple Stormbergs with good results.

You're still going to end up with a fuel/response curve characteristic of a
single barrel constant depression carburetor. Although you may gain some
efficiency from the improved intake manifold you'll also have to keep
everything synchronized and make sure you aren't over-carbed.

Internally a Weber DCOE carb does not work the same way as an SU. They both
use venturis to regulate and atomize the fuel but the similarities end
there (an exaggeration). Webers (and Holleys too) provide many more
adjustments and when properly set up can provide efficient air/fuel
delivery over a much wider range than an SU. Of course, they also give you
100 ways to make your engine run worse if you don't know which screws to
turn and by how much. Unless you're a carburetor wizard (and I'm not) SUs
work pretty well and aren't as painful to set up.

If I was going to go to that much trouble to improve my fuel system I would
opt for some form of fuel injection. There's a reason production cars (with
a few exceptions like the Yugo and a couple of Chevy/Geos ) haven't used
carburetors of ANY kind for many years.

-Erik (1974 TR6 w/Petrol Injection)

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com