Look out, he's thinking again!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Look out, he's thinking again!
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:21:30 -0700 (PDT)
I was having an interesting discussion with a hot-rodder friend of mine last
night concerning carburetors.  He was talking about the improvement in his car
after going to a dual 4bbl setup, and made the comment to me that my TR4A would
perform better with 4 1bbl carbs than with the two ZS I currently have.  The
point he was trying to make was that 4 suitably sized carbs would more
precisely meter the air/fuel mixture, and also relieve the restriction on
'breathing' most factory engineered intake setups have.

Initially I took his comments as 'more is better' mentality, but on reflection
I believe he may have a valid point.  Most TR owners looking for better
performance go to a Weber setup, which basically gives 1bbl per cylinder.
Unfortunately, Webers are very fussy to setup and sometimes do not have good
low and mid throttle response.

So, what is the collective wisdom say about taking 4 SU HS4 carbs (or maybe
some other?) and setting them up on a TR4A engine?  It seems to me that I could
have the best of both worlds when properly setup - great performance, good
response throughout the RPM curve, as well as improved gas mileage.  What
problems would I have putting together such a setup?

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"
'73 Stag 4.3L, Auto, A/C, etc "Molly"