Re: Triumph decal question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph decal question
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:19:53 +1000 FILETIME=[61E5AD10:01C10E02]
>>I wonder who holds the rights to those patents now?
>
>Probably nobody.  Patents have a life of only about 20 years.  All
>that high performance British technology is now in the public domain.

It depends on the type of patent and the country in which they were granted.
But in England since 1624 patents have generally been granted for between 14
and 21 years. That means that even some of the last patents that Triumph may
have lodged in the late 70s are now worthless.  No wonder BMW chose not to
revive the marque ;-)

Nowadays you can even patent business methods- I wonder if there is a patent
granted for a business method that produces cars of dubious build quality
and eventually goes bankrupt? Actually there seem to be a few car makers
that may be applying that business method of late ;-)

Cheers,
Michael Gajic