Re: TR Front Anti-Sway Bar - Wow!!!

To: "Randall" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Front Anti-Sway Bar - Wow!!!
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 01 07:12:10 -0700
> Pushed to the
>limit, a stock TR2-4 will suddenly go from slight understeer to gross
>oversteer, when the axle hits the frame on the inside rear wheel.

I had a long talk with a guy that used to race a TR3 in SCCA during the
late fifties and early sixties.

He ran the factory optional suspension parts, (factory front sway bar,
comp springs & shocks) and cheated on the rear.

According to him the trick was to add longer shackles to keep the inside
rear wheel on the ground longer and the axle off the frame on hard
corners.  He made up a set of shackles that were one inch longer than
stock, shaped exactly like the stock ones and then artfully reproduced
the stock grunge so the SCCA tech inspectors would not catch the longer
shackles.

TeriAnn Near Santa Cruz, California

My old car: 1960 Land Rover 109 owned since 1978
My new car: 1961 Triumph TR3A owned since 1986
  "Who could ask for anything more"