Re: battery switch

Subject: Re: battery switch
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 23:23:15 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Jay :

If you have a simple two-terminal switch, I like the idea of switching
the negative side, for much the same reason the manual says to do the
negative side first when disconnecting the battery.  That way, if the
leads to the switch or the switch terminals get accidentally grounded
somehow, you won't have a short across the battery.  Note that such a
switch will not reliably stop a running engine, the alternator (or
generator) will usually provide enough power to keep running the
ignition.  In fact, it's a very bad idea to open such a switch with the
engine running, it may damage the alternator or other components
(possibly even you).

There are more sophisticated switches available, with a separate contact
for the alternator/generator, that solve that problem.  Some race bodies
require these switches accessible from the outside, so track workers can
shut down a car after an accident.  However, they must be wired into the
hot lead ...

Randall