Re: Question about Radial vs Bias tire on TR3 and TR4

Subject: Re: Question about Radial vs Bias tire on TR3 and TR4
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 23:42:02 -0700
Cc: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
According to Bill Piggott, Michelin X radial tyres could be ordered on a
new TR2 as early as 1955.  He also says that radial tyres (Michelin XAS)
remained an option on the TR5, so apparently they were not standard
until the TR6.

It seems amazing in hindsight, but radial tires gained acceptance very
slowly, at least in the US.  Early ones cost substantially more than
bias ply, and were fairly susceptible to both road hazard damage, and
carcass failure.  It was also commonly believed that suspensions had to
be 'tuned' to the tire; it was considered unsafe to put radial tires on
a car that was not designed for them.

Randall