TR3 Front End Challenge

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Front End Challenge
From: chammock@iquest.net
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:03:01 est
Well, it apears that the trusty and reliable TR3 (post 60000) has a bushing
going south in the front end.  I was cruising the Street Machine Nationals last
weekend - amazing how many of THEM were looking at MY car ;-) -when I noticed
a little metalic clunk coming from the left front.  Returned home and noticed
I could get that clunk by pushing and pulling on the front fender (in an up
and down sort of way).

Hoping for a wheel bearing, I pulled the hub.  Yeah, new bearings are probabaly
warranted, but the clunk appears to be the lower wishbone bushings.  I can put
a pry bar under the wishbones and get small (1/32"?), but noticeable movement
and a little clunk when prying.  DRAT - FUDGE - DARN.

I would love to put this off til fall, but I'm afraid to drive it without
rebuilding
- don't want to take the chance on damaging the pins on the frame - or am I
being paranoid?

I am also afraid of this being the infinite regress project - tearing the whole
front end down to replace the bushings and finding Lord knows what in the
process.

Anyway, any BTDT would be greatly appreciated.  I searched the archives and
my printouts for relevant information.  Am going to make a spring compressor
this evening (thanks Randall)! I figure going to poly bushings, new timken
bearings,
new oil seals and felts, new gaiters on the tie rods and ball joints, replace
any nylocs, hopefully finding trunnions in good shape (they don't wiggle).
Any other advice?

I really don't have a bunch of money just now to plow into the car, but, if
I find the rotors toast, I may go with the tr4 rotors and try the toyota
conversion
(mine is not a concourse candidate). Seems cheaper than new tr3 rotors.  Does
anyone have a set of caliper mounting brackets for the late TR4 - tr6 they might
part with if I go this route?

Thanks for listening and helping in advance- I'm sure I will have lots of
questions!
 The list rules!

Perry Hammock

demographics - 48, married, 2 trs, gear head 32 years, LBC owner 3 years.
Indiana
resident.

1960 TR3A - Jackstand queen this week!