TR3 Front End Challenge

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Front End Challenge
From: chammock@iquest.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:38:11 est
Firstly - Thanks to all who responded to my wishbone bushing question - you know
who you are and I apprecaiate your help!

Secondly - I found I had old Koni shocks (circa 1969) on the car.  E'd Koni
to see about rebuilding the shocks - $95 each plus parts of $15 - $35!  Yes,
they said, it is often cheaper to replace them than to rebuild them, and no,
they  aren't user rebuildable and Koni does not sell parts.  Go figure.
Unfortunately,
one works just like you would expect, and the other cannot be adjusted.  Fudge.

Thirdly, I have reassembled the front end temporarily to enjoy the car for a
few weeks while I get parts and sort out the direction I will take in the
rebuild.
 I do plan to order the new poly wishbone seals from REvington TR and some other
parts - When the order is ready I will poll the list - we can order together
and maybe save some shipping.

Lastly - Help me with Direction.  I have one scored rotor - too deep to turn.
and the calipers need a rebuild.  Options:

1) Ted Shumaker recommends going to a complete TR6 front end - rotor, caliper,
control arms, etc.  Says it gives you the better lower trunnion and better
brakes.

2) Brian Schlorf recommneds TR4 setup - caliper, mounts and rotor.  Saves hugely
on the rotor and gives the new caliper.
3) The Toyota conversion.  NAPA has the calipers loaded for <$60 per.  Brian
suggests that going to the 4-pot calipers will give you a much lower pedal
becasue
of the amount of fluid being pumped through the 4 pistons in the caliper.
4) take the rotors off the parts TR to a competent machine shop to see if they
can be turned within specs (hope to do this week)If so, using the original stuff
is an option.

Anyone who has done any of the above conversions care to chime in? Some of the
parts will differ depending on the route chosen
This is NOT a concourse car - nor will it ever be.  It is a driver and a fun
car.  It is driven briskly.

Thanks, in advance, for your insights, friends.

Perry Hammock
1960 TR3A - O